Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

89. A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens
1843
Around 125 pages








And here we are, back with Dickens again for one of the most iconic stories of all time.   This was actually required reading in eighth grade and there was even a field trip to see the play, which I didn't attend since I had just had surgery. I was never a huge fan of the story (probably because it is so cliche at this point) but I have seen a few adaptations, including Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (hey don't judge me; I watch plenty of good movies too).

So Ebenezer Scrooge is a huge asshole, but somehow does not realize it until three different ghosts show him his past, present, and his future.  In typical sappy Christmas story style, he learns the true meaning of love and goodness.

So in case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm there, I really hate Christmas stories.  The Christmas episodes of television shows are always the worst of the series.  The sentimentality makes me ill so I guess I am due for a visit by some creepy ghosts tonight.  Add that to the fact that I hate Dickens' writing style (do I sound like a broken record yet) and you can come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of the novella.

However, I agree with The Book 100% that you should read this before you die.  A true classic.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The phrase "Merry Christmas" was popularized by this book.

Fans of the story include Robert Louis Stevenson and William Makepiece Thackeray.

Trailer for one of many adaptations:


UP NEXT: Lost Illusions by Honore de Balzac.  I am going to take a break for a little while to read Sue Grafton's new book but I should be back shortly.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I do not agree that this should be in the book. I hate this book.