Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

210. The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man
H.G. Wells
1897
Around 120 pages












Wells isn't the first author to come up with the "mad scientist's experiment goes horribly wrong" story. Nor is he the best by any means. Still, he is a fun diversion from some of the tougher works on the List. And we've got a prose poem coming soon, so buckle up.

A stranger has a hard time keeping his invisibility under wraps (New Years Resolution for 2020: use less puns that alienate me from my peers). Basically, you'll understand what happens if you've read Plato's Republic, or much more importantly, seen the Buffy episode "Out of Mind, Out of Sight."

I don't have much to say about this one. It was a fun little story that I don't think had anything too profound to say, but not every novel does, or even needs to. I don't mean to sound condescending, this List just spoils you a bit. So the Veruca Salt in me wants to say, "that's it?"

But the Charlie Bucket in me had a fun time chilling with his grandpa.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Inspired by Plato's Republic.

UP NEXT: Fruits of the Earth by Andre Gide.

No comments: