Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2021

283. The Life and Death of Harriet Frean

The Life and Death of Harriet Frean
May Sinclair
1922
Around 170 pages




















Something about this book seemed very familiar to me. Maybe I read it when I was younger and forgot (even though I pride myself that I never forget a conquest). I think it may actually be because this novel is so similar in theme to The Bunner Sisters, another List book I read recently. By the way, I'm not complaining. This is one of the best books I've read in awhile.

Harriet Frean is determined to behave. She is a dutiful daughter and a dutiful friend. When she falls in love with her best friend's fiance, she is content to suffer in silence and reap joy from her moral integrity. In doing so, she condemns all three members of the love triangle to misery. In other words, she's the perfect Victorian era woman. And what a waste of a life it is.

Harriet Frean is a fascinating character; I felt like I knew her inside and out, even though the book was fairly short. I think it's safe to say that personal happiness and fulfillment wasn't high on the list of priorities for people in the past. It will be interesting to see that shift during the twentieth century. I just felt sorry for Harriet, and I didn't even want her to have any disquieting realizations. Poor thing.

I wish May Sinclair had ended up writing more novels, but I'll take what I can get.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Only Sinclair novel still in print.

UP NEXT: The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton

No comments: