Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2021

292. The Devil in the Flesh

The Devil in the Flesh
Raymond Radiguet
1923
Around 120 pages










Raymond Radiguet wrote this novel between the ages of sixteen and eighteen. What was I writing when I was that age? Oh, right, my earliest blog posts. That's disheartening.

In the sudden aftermath of World War I, a sixteen-year-old boy falls for a married woman, whose husband is still away at the front. As a statutory rapist, Marthe is portrayed pretty sympathetically.  And the boy is smug, as boys that age are.

I'm always amazed when a teenager is able to produce anything other than embarrassing moments, which explains my unapologetic fascination with Olivia Rodrigo. It's still an impressive work regardless of his age. I think cynical youths often mistake their pessimism for wisdom. I think Radiguet captures the dramatics of adolescent romances well, but man, is the main character self-satisfied about it.

Probably not a must read, but enjoyable and will tide you over until The Graduate.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The story was semi-autobiographical based on Radiguet's relationship with an older woman.

Radiguet died at the age of 20 from typhus.

UP NEXT: Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo


No comments: