Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

302. The Counterfeiters

The Counterfeiters
Andre Gide
1925
Around 400 pages












The structure of this novel is intended to mirror cubism and is considered the precursor of the nouveau roman. Now, ordinarily this news would cause me to run and hide behind Henry Fielding's skirts. But I was actually warm for this novel's form. I always love writers writing about writing.

Bernard discovers from letters in his mother's desk that he is in fact, *gasp*, a bastard. He writes a very mean letter to his parents and runs away from home. He spends the night in his friend Olivier's bed, because this novel is very gay. Bernard steals a suitcase from Olivier's uncle, Edouard, which surprisingly results in Bernard becoming Edouard's secretary. Olivier is jealous of their relationship. There are many other subplots too, including Olivier's brothers' entanglements with women and the law. 

Andre Gide is a self described pedophile. We must once again grapple with separating the art from the artist. But like Thomas Mann, Gide makes this difficult by writing a very personal novel about the sexual awakening of young men.

But I did enjoy reading this novel. I am excited that we will be getting more queer literature as we make our way through the 20th century. I really enjoyed reading Edouard's thoughts on his novel, which he thinks he is writing but actually hasn't written a word of yet. Been there, buddy.

Our last Gide on the List. Which is good, because liking him makes me uncomfortable.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a tv film in 2010.

Received coldly upon its initial release, but has gained prestige in the intervening years.

UP NEXT: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Is it wrong that when people say this is their favorite book, I assume they haven't read anything since high school? I know I'm a snob, but there's nothing like a high school English class to make you hate a novel. 

Also, if it's still your favorite novel, feel free to tell me how off I am in the comments.

No comments: