Pages

Friday, April 22, 2022

326. Lady Chatterley's Lover

Lady Chatterley's Lover
D.H. Lawrence
1928
Around 375 pages








Now that we have been shocked and appalled by lesbian sex, it's time to be shocked and appalled by heterosexual sex. This was actually the first "sexy" novel I ever read when I was in ninth grade. Yeah, I had a bit of a wild streak. 

Lady Chatterley's husband is paralyzed from the waist down, due to an injury from World War I. The lack of physical and emotional fulfillment with the relationship causes her to end up in the arms of the caretaker, Oliver Mellors. I would have enjoyed this experience more if I had been picturing Robb Stark in the role. This illuminating new perspective might necessitate another reread.

I loved this novel. Once again, Lawrence offers a perspective that we maybe don't need, this time on female sexuality. But hey, he's acknowledging that women have sex drives, which is huge (the bar is low people). I found this to be a really quotable novel, I think I quoted it in English class. Better close the door on that memory before I succumb to cringe.

We've reached the Lawrence's final novel. He's like a boyfriend you know wasn't the one for you, but you still look back on your time together fondly. Here's my official Lawrence ranking:

1. Lady Chatterley's Lover
2. The Fox
3. Women in Love
4. Sons and Lovers
5. The Rainbow
6. Aaron's Rod
7. The Plumed Serpent

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Banned for obscenity in India, Japan, Australia, the United States, and Canada.

Published two years after Lawrence's death.

Robb Stark is hot.

UP NEXT: Orlando by Virginia Woolf. 

No comments: