Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

334. All Quiet on the Western Front

All Quiet on the Western Front
Erich Maria Remarque
1928
Around 200 pages









When I think of World War I novels, this is the first one that comes to mind. It doesn't get any trenchier than this. I remember some of my classmates had to read this in high school, though I think my teacher made us read Siddhartha instead. Hey, as long as it's a white guy, we're good. Anyway, this was a quick and miserable read, so it wasn't too difficult to knock out.

Paul Baumer is a German soldier on the Western Front. He was a volunteer who had patriotically swallowed the propaganda the adults in his life shoved down his throat. Things get trenchy.

I saw the movie adaptation before reading this, which is one my early movie blog posts that I am too ashamed to link to now (we were dealing with 14 year old Amanda at the time, and she was too busy angsting to spellcheck). Anyway, the story is pretty much exactly what'd you expect, war is bad. 

Paul is a solid representation of the average soldier, so Remarque was able to provide excellent commentary by merely following our prototypical patriot to the natural conclusion of his life.  A true classic that doesn't overstay its welcome.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Was among the first books banned and burned by Nazi Germany.

The 1930 film adaptation won Best Picture. 

UP NEXT: The Time of Indifference by Alberto Moravia. Based on the title, I know I am going to feel guilty by the end.

No comments: