Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2022

353. Radetzky March

Radetzky March
Joseph Roth
1932
Around 365 pages












Okay, I'll fess up. My library didn't have this book. Now, I could have bought an English translation on Amazon, like I was forced to do with Hebdomeros. But there are too many good books in the world to fill my bookshelves with novels that are probably not my steez. Also, I'm cheap.

I did, however, find a German version online. So I did the thing. I copied and pasted into Google Translate.

I know, it hurts and I killed any nuance that I am sure Joseph Roth lovingly wove into his work. On the other hand, I think I've made it clear that I'm bored of World War I novels and wouldn't click with this anyway. I am the monster that the List made me.

Anyway, this is the story of three generations of Trotta family, an Austro-Hungarian family. The clan is elevated to nobility after Lieutenant saves Emperor Franz Joseph I during battle. The Baron is disgusted that the story has been embellished and weaponized as propaganda for the country. And this is a sucky time to be born anyway, so he makes sense that he is pissed off. 

So I didn't like it, I'm sure the translation was butchered, and I'm ready for World War II to start. This did prompt me to go on an interesting Wikipedia binge. That emperor's life was cray.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Roth continues his story about the Trotta family in the sequel The Emperor's Tomb.

This book comes with its own soundtrack! This is the march referred to in the title:





UP NEXT: Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

No comments: