Pages

Thursday, May 4, 2023

477. Malone Dies

Malone Dies
Samuel Beckett
1951
Around 130 pages




















It's rare, but once in awhile I'll hate an author, and then I stumble upon one novel from their oeuvre I enjoy. Henry James is the example that immediately comes to mind. So each time I pick up the next Beckett novel, I have the vague hope of clicking with the text. And then Beckett dashes my dreams against a wall and makes a fart joke.

Malone is an old guy/crazed murderer who is bedridden in an asylum. He's sort of telling his story, and sort of telling the story of Sapo, who might also be him? He also changes Sapo's name in the middle of the novel, because Beckett hates his readers.

Unfortunately, Malone Dies is very similar to Molloy, as the novels are part of a trilogy. At least Beckett only makes us suffer for 130 pages or so.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Broadcast on the radio in 1958.

UP NEXT: The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

No comments: