Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2024

987. Thursbitch

Thursbitch
Alan Garner
2003
Around 160 pages



















Once again, I have to drop some coin to get this List done, as no library or internet archive has heard of Thursbitch. It's like negotiating alimony; you have to spend a little money to get your freedom back.

In this slightly weird fable, John Turner's death in the 18th century leaves an emotional charge for Ian and Sal in the 20th. The valley of Thursbitch is the main focus here, making it clear that the characters and humanity in general are just sort of passing through.

This is a difficult novel to classify, and for only being 160 pages, it felt very dense. The authentic 18th century dialect made it hard to read, and I wanted to be much more engaged than I was, although his use of imagery was impressive.

Not a terrible read, but not really worth tracking down either.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Garner stated that "I don't have anything to do with the literary world. I avoid writers. I don't like them. Most of my close personal friends are professional archaeologists."

UP NEXT: The Colour by Rose Tremain

No comments: