Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

68. Ormond

Ormond
Maria Edgeworth
1817
Around 400 pages












So for reason my computer is being ridiculously slow and when I started this post I had about twenty five minutes to write it, now because of picture problems I have around eleven minutes to write.  It shall be done!

I was really excited to read this book because it has often been described as the Irish Tom Jones and I love me some Tom.  This novel follows Ormond, not surprisingly, as he travels, falls in love, and gets into mischief.  At the beginning of the book, he decides that he wants to be more like Tom Jones.  To do this, he has to find a heroine, be a bit of a "blackguard", and then reform.  While making fun of novels' heroes isn't exactly new (Don Quixote, Female Quixote, etc.) it is always funny.

So that part of the novel was certainly interesting. However, this book did have a tendency to drag and the heroine, Dora, is rather dull.  Still, a good read and I would recommend it.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

It is Maria Edgeworth so more Irish nationalism themes.

No comments: