Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

72. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
Sir Walter Scott
1820
Around 530 pages












All right, now I am really running out of time for these posts.  Damn Jane Austen personality quiz that got me off track (by the way I am an Elizabeth).

Ivanhoe is a romanticized version of Robin Hood.  Evidently, Sir Walter Scott was really obsessed with this guy, since this is what Rob Roy was about as well.  Anyway, be prepared for massive anti Semitism.  At least, on the part of the characters.  There is one "Jewess" named Rebecca who is actually portrayed in a positive light.

Sorry to make this so short as I really did enjoy this book.  It is very romantic and adventurous.  The bow and arrow scene is one of the most exciting scenes in literature.  Check it out!

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Our idea of Robin Hood nowadays (dashing, heroic, etc.) is mostly due to Ivanhoe.

Historically accurate, for the most part.

1 comment:

TSorensen said...

At first I agreed with you that this is antisemitic, but then I changed my mind. The description of Isaac is totally Nazi, but there is a undertone, especially concerning Rebecca, where Scott seems more interested in exposing the antisemitism of the other characters and in a sense his contemporaries. Rebecca is the real hero of the story and she and her plight gets an enormous amount of space, considering she is only considered a supporting character.
I expanded quite a bit on this in my review.