Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

91. The Pit and The Pendulum

The Pit and The Pendulum
Edgar Allan Poe
1842
Around 40 pages












Happy October, everyone!  Usually during this time of the year I like to read a few good horror novels. This year I am going to read Perfume: Story of a Murderer (another list book).  I will probably read Martin Chuzzlewit (another Charles Dickens; if that is not horror I don't know what is) after so I will back shortly!

This is a story I had read before and I am sure a lot of my readers are at least familiar with the concept.  An unnamed narrator is arrested by the Inquisition and is put in cell.  Gradually, he realizes that a bladed pendulum is swinging down and will eventually kill him.  There also walls that will burn your skin off and seemingly bottomless pits.  I think I would prefer the pendulum.

I thought this story was a huge improvement from Fall of The House of Usher.  Poe presents us with a claustrophobic nightmare that I think might be his scariest story.  It is a bit frustrating that we get absolutely no background on the character.  However, I think we immediately begin to picture ourselves in the protagonist's situation and knowing too much about the character might prevent us from doing that.

So for anyone looking for a good horror story to read to get in the Halloween mood, this is a good start.  I would also recommend Dracula and The Tell Tale Heart.  Other suggestions?  Leave them in the comments section!

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

May have been influenced by the Quran.

Frequent use of literary consonance.

Trailer for 1991 version:
UP NEXT: Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens.  GROAN!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I am going to read this book. I have never read it and I think the only story I have read of Poe's is The Telltale Heart. I must get with it here! Thanks for the review!