Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

98. Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre
Charlotte Bronte
1847
Around 600 pages












This is the last post I have to write before I am completely caught up (I haven't read Agnes Gray but the rest of the novels lately have been favorites).  I am hope I am not too tired to do justice to one of the greatest love stories of all time.

The novel follows Jane Eyre, a plain girl who was abused by her aunt and cousins.  I personally love the fact that she is not that attractive since every heroine seems to be the most beautiful angel in the entire world.  It is not hard to fall in love with beautiful people.  It is a lot more interesting to read about a relationship that is not based on pure physical attraction (watching one on television however…).

Anyway, Jane becomes the governess of Thornfield Hall and falls in love with her boss, Mr. Rochester.  Unfortunately, Rochester has a secret, one that could destroy their relationship.  Dah dah DAH!

I first tried this novel in eighth grade and remember thinking that it was upsetting and dull.  I tried it again in high school and fell in love with it.  So I can understand why it would not appeal to some people.  But like I said, after reading love story after love story where the girl is gorgeous and the guy is a hero and the only conflict comes from outside, it was nice to read something entirely difference.

Great dialogue, great story, and great characters.  How many more raves do we have in store for us?

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

What was the deal with Mr. Rochester dressing up like a woman, though?  Like what?

Many elements of Gothic fiction were used in this novel.

Jane Eyre's life mirrors Charlotte Bronte's in numerous ways.

Trailer:
UP NEXT: Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

No comments: