Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2021

286. Jacob's Room

Jacob's Room
Virginia Woolf
1922
Around 300 pages












I believe the above image will appear in my nightmares tonight, so I had to share my horror with others. You're welcome. 

Virginia Woolf is definitely growing more experimental with her works, so it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to write a plot summary. We follow the life of Jacob, although the story is mainly told through the perspectives of the women in life, including the upper class Clara Durrant, and an art student he was an affair with. 

The shift from a traditional novel structure to modernism could have been a disaster for Woolf, but she is in her element here and as usual, delivers breath-taking sentences. The stream of consciousness style really bonds you to the author. And when an author had such a tragic life, it's hard not to feel a little heartbroken reading this.

I think this was deleted in later editions. I get it, she is a bit over represented. Still well worth reading.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Woolf's third novel. The previous two were also on the List. 

UP NEXT: The Enormous Room by E.E. Cummings. I never knew he was a novelist.

No comments: