Pages

Friday, June 18, 2021

287. The Enormous Room

The Enormous Room
E.E. Cummings
1922
Around 230 pages












I keep meaning to read more poetry and plays, but how can I when there are so many good novels in the world? But I've enjoyed the few poems by Cummings I've come across. I am lover of simplicity, even if grammatical errors make my heart hurt.

This is an autobiographical novel that details Cummings' capture in France during World War I. During the war, Cummings worked as an ambulance driver. His colleague, William Slater Brown, was arrested by the French authorities because he expressed anti-war sentiments in his letters. Cummings was loyal to his friend when questioned about it (what a baller), so Cummings was arrested as well. He then spent four months in prison, where he predictably met some colorful characters.

I've been reading some plus-sized books lately, so it was nice to pick up something concise like this. It's fascinating how many famous writers from this time were actively involved in these global conflicts. We are able to have firsthand accounts of the biggest wars ever fought, written by masterful craftsmen. This isn't true of present day, which I guess is a good thing, since normies aren't getting drafted.

I would add more Cummings to my reading list, but I don't think it can take the strain.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

F. Scott Fitzgerald said of the book "Of all the work by young men who have sprung up since 1920 one book survives—The Enormous Room by E.E. Cummings... Those few who cause books to live have not been able to endure the thought of its mortality."

UP NEXT: The Garden Party by Katherine Mansfield. This is a shawty.

No comments: