Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2022

315. Tarka the Otter

Tarka the Otter
Henry Williamson
1927
Around 280 pages










Look at that fluffy monster. I read otters rape baby seals and are known necrophiliacs. I don't know about you, but it sure makes me wonder why Hermione Granger's patronus was an otter. But I guess this was written in a simpler time, when otters were just those cute animals you shoot on sight. 

So we get to hear about the life of Tarka the Otter, which among other things involves mating, eating, and hiding from hunters. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of your animal stories (The Call of the Wild, Watership Down, etc.). And Williamson doesn't really make an attempt to anthropomorphize Tarka, and it's kind of boring just reading a record of Tarka's movements, when there's no emotional depth to it.

I suppose it is well-intentioned, demonstrating the cruelty of hunters. Hey, you don't have to tell me, I've been baiting hunters on dating apps since Tinder became a thing.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Williamson claims he was inspired to write this novel after saving an otter cub. Sure you did, Professor Lockhart.

Williamson supported Oswald Mosley, the leader of the British Union of Fascists. Man, so many authors on this List are serious d-bags.

UP NEXT: To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. She strikes again!

No comments: