Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2022

316. To the Lighthouse

To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf
1927
Around 210 pages












We are officially entering the weird phase of Virginia Woolf's career. I don't dislike her as much as I dislike other modernist authors, like this blog's favorite punching bag, James Joyce. But I still miss the Night and Day days.

The novel's setting is in the Ramsays' summer home on the Island of Skye. Family dynamics are explored through little things. Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay disagree about the weather, the kids don't want to go to the lighthouse. Mostly, the novel explores the feelings behind the characters as time marches relentlessly on.

I know many people who love stream of consciousness. I can take it, in small doses, but I much prefer a more coherent narrative. I like how she focuses on the particular, while conveying something universal. Definitely a talented lady.

She also builds the setting well through the characters' perceptions. Not a favorite, but still an impressive novel.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Woolf viewed this as her best novel.

The house in the novel is based on Woolf's childhood home.

UP NEXT: Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust, which should make every book we've read so far on this List look like garbage.

No comments: