Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2022

342. The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
1930
Around 215 pages














Another crossover episode! Obviously, The Maltese Falcon is on the 1001 Movie List, but honestly, I never really understood the plot of that movie, so I wasn't going into the novel with too many spoilers. You get exactly what you expect with this book, which is pretty a fun ride.

Every cliche from the genre is present in this novel, from cool, double-crossing dames to fat cigar chomping tough guys. It's impossible for me not to picture Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade, he's perfect for the role.

The plot is completely convoluted and ridiculous, but it doesn't have delusions of grandeur like another incoherent narratives on this List. A fun break from some of the more serious works on the List.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts: 

Hammett said of his main character: "Spade has no original. He is a dream man in the sense that he is what most of the private detectives I worked with would like to have been, and, in their cockier moments, thought they approached."

UP NEXT: Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh. I'm over him.

1 comment:

TSorensen said...

There is on I am really looking forward to read. I have lost count on the number of times I have watched the movie, but like you I am still confused on the details. Glad to hear the book is a fun read too.