Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

366. Tropic of Cancer

Tropic of Cancer
Henry Miller
1934
Around 320 pages












I tried to have good mindset going into this one. I have read Tropic of Capricorn before, so I knew what I was getting into. But we have a lot of post modernism ahead of us, so I did my best to drop my 'tude and read it like it was a very long poem. A poem that is hellbent on grossing us out.

Um, let's see what I can recall in terms of plot. It seems autobiographical, Henry Miller has disgusting friends and has sex with women. Only he's not mature enough to use the word "women." He makes the every day into something gross. 

I guess this was revolutionary, since so many countries banned it. I can see it being exciting for teenagers stuck in Pleasantville, who are just learning what sex is. On the other hand, it's nothing that John Cleland, Rabelais, and James Joyce haven't covered already, much as I wish they didn't. 

There's a place for novels like this, but I hope it's far away from me.

RATING: -----

Interesting Facts:

In 1964, the U.S. Supreme Court declared the book non-obscene. I'm really getting sick of those guys.

On why the book is named Tropic of Cancer: "It was because to me cancer symbolized the disease of civilization, the endpoint of the wrong path, the necessity to change course radically, to start completely over from scratch." Oh, get a grip.

UP NEXT: The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain



No comments: