Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2022

381. Wild Harbour

Wild Harbour
Ian MacPherson
1936
Around 210 pages











I love novels that take place in Scotland. The imagery is always so rich, and they always seem to be replete with haunting descriptions that make me feel like I am standing on the bluffs, my dress dramatically blowing in the wind. And the fact that MacPherson pretty much predicts World War II in 1936 is eerie as well.

In 1940s Scotland, married couple Terry and Hugh have taken to the Scottish highlands to escape the War. I think everybody enjoys a good survivalist story. I would last all of three minutes, but it's fun to read about other people living off the land in a post apocalyptic world. 

All of the fear present in this novel and doomed predictions have lost none of their relevancy here in 2022. Another hidden gem from the List. I could have done without the diary format, but very characteristic of the genre.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

MacPherson died in a motorcycle accident in 1944. 

UP NEXT: Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell

No comments: