Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2022

385. Eyeless in Gaza

Eyeless in Gaza
Aldous Huxley
1936
Around 620 pages




















This is the last Aldous Huxley novel on the List, and I feel no type of way about that. I think he is a little boring, even with Brave New World on his resume (which admittedly is a masterpiece). I feel that way about most modernists though. I just want a good story dammit. I don't want you to redefine what a sentence is.

The novel tells the story of Anthony Beavis, a socialite who drifted through high society without much purpose until his friend commits suicide. The plot is non chronological and told in stream of consciousness style. 

Huxley does funky things with grammar, and fully actualizes his previous potential as a wacky modernist on par with Virginia Woolf (the later years) and James Joyce. Which I hate, but others evidently enjoy. 

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The title is taken from a John Milton poem, referencing the biblical story of Samson.

UP NEXT: Summer Will Show by Sylvia Warner Townsend

No comments: