Pages

Friday, April 28, 2023

472. Molloy

Molloy
Samuel Beckett
1951
Around 240 pages









Irish authors and I do not click. I wonder if it's because I love England, and they don't. Also, I am a square when it comes to traditional story structure and Irish authors are more like the square root of -1. Unfortunately, there are many more Beckett novels on the List. This is like going on a date with a guy you know you are not attracted to, but you go anyway because you're bored and lonely. 

So this is the first in a trilogy that the List is planning on demolishing my spirit with. I don't know where we are in this story, although the sinking feeling I had in my stomach indicated we were in Ireland. Molloy is living in his mother's room, although it's unclear where the mother is (my money's on the fruit cellar). I hate that Beckett always has to get so disgusting with the descriptions of the body. Anyway, is Molloy crazy or he just trapped in a crazy medium?

I don't want to read an 80 page paragraph. Why does he want to punish the reader for picking up his novel? Men spiraling into madness is a frequently used plot on this List, and I don't find it nearly as interesting as other set ups.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

During World War II, Beckett was a member of the French Resistance. So he gets a point for that at least.

UP NEXT: The Rebel by Albert Camus

No comments: