Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2023

473. The Rebel

The Rebel
Albert Camus
1951
Around 320 pages



















I am grateful that the Powers That Be have suddenly decided that essays fall under the umbrella of novels. When I was reading Camus' other works, I felt he was a philosopher first, and a storyteller second. So I was eager to experience Camus reach his full potential as a theorist. 

The act of rebellion has to have a purpose, otherwise you are just James Deaning it. Camus examines the concept of revolt, on an individual and historical scale. Naturally, my favorite part was when Camus posed the question on if reading can be considered an act of rebellion, or if it always represents a passive escape from reality.

Camus explains how all revolutions in some way seek to destroy god, so they fail before they even start. I found his perspective fascinating, and unlike many philosophical works, it didn't make me want to stick my head in the oven after I finished. 

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Criticized by many Marxists, including Jean-Paul Sartre.

UP NEXT: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

1 comment:

Diana said...

I am intrigued by the question concerning reading. I don't want to read the book, but I do want to think about that more.