Pages

Monday, July 10, 2023

540. The Tin Drum

The Tin Drum
Gunter Grass
1959
Around 575 pages







“Even bad books are books and therefore sacred.” I have this quote on my whiteboard, as a reminder when I'm looking at my writing and grimacing. It's also my philosophy on this blog, and gets me through the worst this List has to offer. Anyway, that quote is from this book, which earns it major points, but luckily that's not the only thing this strange novel has going for it.

Oskar was born in 1924 Poland, and retains the stature of a child for his entire life. Because that wasn't eccentric enough, he also possesses the ability to shriek at a decibel that can shatter glass. Also he is has a tin drum he will do anything to protect.

Oskar is an original character, who I am guessing had an influence on John Irving's Owen Meany. I love the idea of incorporating magic realism into a World War II story, it's not a setting that usually gets that treatment. I know this premise would make most people roll their eyes, but Grass really grounds his story so that Oskar feels real, as unusual as it is to have an ageless dwarf with a remarkably active sex life. 

I look forward to reading more Grass down the line.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Film adaptation won Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award.

UP NEXT: Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

No comments: