Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

549. How It Is

How It Is
Samuel Beckett
1961
Around 110 pages



















Oh how I loathe thee, and we are not even close to checking the last Beckett novel off the List. At least Beckett keeps it short.

Our narrator is monologuing as he crawls through endless mud. Which I interpreted as an allegory of my journey with this List. I like that Beckett has one big idea and sticks to it, but I just really don't click with his style.

I know hating Beckett is beating a dead horse, but the List keeps resurrecting the horse, so it's not my fault. Time to set the horse zombie on fire.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The title is Beckett's literal translation of the French phrase, comment c'est (how it is), a pun on the French verb commencer or 'to begin'.

UP NEXT: The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor

No comments: