Pages

Monday, October 9, 2023

628. Blind Man With a Pistol

Blind Man With a Pistol
Chester Himes
1969
Around 190 pages



















It's been more than a minute since our last straight up mystery novel, and even longer since a black person has appeared on this List. I was actually trying to figure out who the last black author was, but got tired of scrolling. So it makes for a nice change. 

This is the last novel of Himes' Harlem cycle that was published in his lifetime, which means we are once again barging in on a series. One day, I will right all the wrongs I have committed for this List, and finish all the series we have hit and quit. I'll be like the Hound, when he finally stands up to Joffrey during the Battle of Blackwater. Anyway.

But until then, I will keep rudely intruding on these characters during their final days on page. Coffin Ed and Grave Digger Jones investigate the murder of a man who dies in front of them. 

The racial commentary is more compelling than the mystery. Himes' themes about senseless violence wouldn't be as powerful if he tied up everything with a neat bow at the end. Our main detectives were passive, badass nicknames aside, but again, that fits in with the larger message here. I would be interested to see if these characters are more developed in previous entries.

I think I would have enjoyed this more if we hadn't just dropped in on these characters, but it did pack a punch for such a short novel.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Eighth book in the Harlem Cycle.

UP NEXT: Pricksongs and Descants by Robert Coover

No comments: