Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2023

634. Mercier and Camier

Mercier and Camier
Samuel Beckett
1970
Around 130 pages




















This is probably the most accessible Samuel Beckett novel there is, and yet, I still found it insufferable. I promise I will start liking entries again soon, but the 1970s aren't providing the warmest of welcomes.

Mercier and Camier are trying to leave the city, but keep getting delayed. I actually have a lot of nightmares like that, but this is supposed to be funny. Beckett always seems like he would rather be writing a play, and I guess he used direct quotes from this novel in Waiting for Godot.

I love a solid friendship providing a backbone for a novel, which is why I enjoyed this more than something like Watt. Watt actually makes an appearance here, which is about as welcome as a Mike Tyson cameo.

Anyway, I've established I don't like his writing, but you'll get to hear me say it a few more times on this List.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Beckett published an English translation in 1974.

UP NEXT: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

No comments: