Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

658. The Castle of Crossed Destinies

The Castle of Crossed Destinies
Italo Calvino
1973
Around 145 pages














Italo Calvino always brings some magic to this List, which is much appreciated because let's face it: most of our authors are muggles. 

In what I assume is a nod to Chaucer, Calvino presents a narrative where a group of travelers meet and swap stories. Only these characters find themselves unable to speak after passing through a magical forest, so they have to recount their tales using tarot cards.

Taking away the characters' ability to communicate is always a fun narrative technique, as we are forced to dissect all the non verbal ways we can connect with each other. This is a very short novel, so the concept doesn't have time to grate. And I really enjoyed the illustrations as well, usually if we have any drawings on this List, it's a penis.

I have to recommend this novel to my sister who is very into tarot, although I'm not sure she trusts me after the John Banville incident.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Contains allusions to Ludovico Ariosto's Orlando Furioso.

UP NEXT: The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell

1 comment:

Diana said...

I am a little nervous to read this, but I will give it a try. I had quite a time with Italo Calvino before, but I have recovered from the tedium of the Fairy Tale book of his, so I think I am ready.