Pages

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

699. Yes

Yes
Thomas Bernhard
1978
Around 140 pages



















Only one more novel until we reach 700! I'm also pumped to finish up the 70s. It's been a weird decade.

The opening sentence of Yes is 477 words long, which is certainly less memorable than "Call me Ishmael." Our narrator is a scientist working on antibodies. He meets a Persian woman at an office in rural Austria. His long talks with the woman give him meaning, but they both still want to kill themselves because it's a Bernhard novel.

Well, this certainly wouldn't be my book of choice if I was trying to read myself off the ledge. I guess there's a slight controversy if Bernhard chose doctor assisted suicide, or died by heart attack. I wouldn't be surprised if he had died by suicide, with the way he writes about it here. 

We still have a few Bernhards on the List, so he will have even more time to bum us out.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Often criticized in Austria as a Nestbeschmutzer (one who dirties his own nest) for his critical views, Bernhard was highly acclaimed in other countries.

UP NEXT: The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan

No comments: