Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

93. The Purloined Letter

The Purloined Letter
Edgar Allan Poe
1844
Around 30 pages












When I first read this story (which would have been two or three years ago), I was shocked.  I couldn't believe that Poe had copied Sherlock Holmes do obviously in his main character, Dupin.  However, after a quick date check, I realized it was the other way around.  Oh well.  Both characters make for great stories and Poe is always fun, especially with Halloween coming up.

A letter with "comprising" information is stolen from a woman by an evil minister.  It is up to Sher-Auguste Dupin to solve the case!

I have read quite a few Dupin stories and this is probably my favorite so hurray for the List Makers (although I am still am a bit sore about the last entry).

It is inevitable, though, to compare Holmes and Dupin and I definitely think that Holmes comes out on top.  His observations are a bit more interesting and the dialogue is better.  Still, this story can hold its own and it is a fast read.  Sorry for the short review but lots of posts to do today!

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Extremely similar to Doyle's story The Second Stain.

Poe's favorite Dupin detective story.

UP NEXT: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

No comments: