Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

116. Madame Bovary

Madame Bovary
Gustave Flaubert
1856
Around 500 pages













This is an old favorite of mine and one of the most classic-y classic novels on The List (that's the technical term).

Emma Rouault marries Charles Bovary, thus condemning herself to the dull provincial life.  Emma then kind of transforms into a Desperate Housewife and chaos ensues.

Emma is one of my favorite heroines (can I call her that?) of all time.  I myself am often romantic and would prefer to live in a fantasy world of my own creation than face reality.  Emma stands for any woman who has ever dreamed that her life is going to play out like a romance novel.

I personally love stories that have to do with bored people.  For starters, the story rarely is dull (that would be a bit of a mindfuck actually).  Additionally, the characters are usually completely unpredictable, which makes for a fun read.

A great novel, but keep a box of tissues handy!

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Sorry for the short review.  I have so much to do that my head hurts.

Said to be influenced by Balzac.

Trailer.  Oh my god this acting is horrifying:



UP NEXT: Adam Bebe by George Eliot

1 comment:

Diana said...

I first read this book when I was a teenager and then again in my thirties. It is a book that stuck with me and so many parts of it still come back to me. is that good storytelling? I think so. I don't know anything about Flaubert, but I know I like this book!