Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2020

211. The Fruits of the Earth

The Fruits of the Earth
Andre Gide
1897
Around 50 pages












Reading this prose poem made me grateful that I am done with college. I can just picture this showing up on the syllabus of some philosophy class and having to analyze it for weeks, or more accurately, listen to the one loudmouth alpha male analyze it for weeks. We would probably have to take turns leading discussions about it, and it would be an option to write about for the final paper. God, just the thought of it gives me shudders.

Okay, so basically this is a novel in the loosest sense of the word. The narrator is speaking to someone named Nathanael. The general thesis of the book is "Live!"  But he admitted to being a pedophile, so I don't really have much of an interest in his opinion on how I should live my life. I'm sorry, how Nathanael should live his life.

This one was easy to knock out because of its length, but dull, dull, dull. As for the ideas he is pushing forth, you'll have to wait to hear my thoughts until my presentation in class. My turn's Tuesday.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Referenced in Roger Martin du Gard's The Thibaults.

UP NEXT: The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. We are hitting a cluster of novels that I have already read, so expect reviews up shortly!

No comments: