Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2020

1800s Pulitizers


It is, of course, ridiculous to try to pick out the best novel of a century. I mean, The Count of Monte Cristo was much more fun to read than The Germinal, but the latter is much more powerful. Pride and Prejudice will always be one of my favorite novels, but can the scope of the novel really stand up against War and Peace?

On the other hand, it is also ridiculous to take on this challenge in the first place, so it's good to keep this energy up. Feel free to add your own nominations/awards/categories in the comments section. If you give me a category, I will add it to the post.

I also want to take this moment to thank all my readers. Reading will always be my first passion and I am always delighted to share that with the willing (and the unwilling, but the willing are more fun).

BEST AUTHOR: Thomas Hardy

Nominees:

Jane Austen
Victor Hugo
Charles Dickens
Honore de Balzac
Stendhal
Edgar Allan Poe
Charlotte Bronte
Thomas Hardy
Anthony Trollope
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Anne Bronte
Gustave Flaubert
Emile Zola
Oscar Wilde

BEST NOVEL: David Copperfield

Nominees:

Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Oliver Twist
Red and the Black
The Count of Monte Cristo
Jude the Obscure
Far from a Madding Crowd
David Copperfield
The Three Musketeers
Return of the Native
Jane Eyre
Madame Bovary
The Germinal
War and Peace
The Idiot
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

WORST NOVEL: Maldoror

Nominees:

The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Hunger
By the Open Sea
The House by the Medlar Tree
Moby Dick

BEST CHARACTER: Emma Woodhouse

Nominees:

Sherlock Holmes
Oblomov
Jude Fawley
Milady
Prince Myshkin
Emma Woodhouse
Phineas Finn
Dorian Gray


2 comments:

TSorensen said...

Haha, you nominated Moby Dick for worst novel, that makes me feel less bad for disliking it when I read it years ago.
Clearly there are a lot of excellent novels from the nineteenth century. Looking forward to get there.

Amanda said...

I look forward to reading your thoughts on it!