Pages

Monday, December 6, 2021

305. Manhattan Transfer

Manhattan Transfer
John Dos Passos
1925
Around 340 pages





















Some novels are forever stained by the memories associated with the reading experience. This was my waiting room book as my father underwent open heart surgery. So I was never going to be hanging on every word.

That being said, this was probably not going to be my cup of tea anyway. The story follows many characters in New York, with a wide range of subplots. This certainly immerses you in the chaotic feeling of New York City. But it's a little hard to follow all the characters, who are, predictably, not a happy bunch.

Once again, we have an author playing with the form of the novel itself. And I don't like it! I really want to sink my teeth into a story, and I didn't really enjoy the flashes of misery I saw bouncing from character to character. 

Anyway, another author trying to be James Joyce. Skippable.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

D. H. Lawrence called it "the best modern book about New York."

Inspired the name of the vocal group Manhattan Transfer.

UP NEXT: The Making of the Americans by Gertrude Stein. I've really been dreading this one.

No comments: