Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2022

350. The Thin Man

The Thin Man
Dashiell Hammett
1934
Around 200 pages







350! It's shocking how many meaningful milestones one blog can contain. We can celebrate with my favorite hard-boiled detective novel on this List. Incidentally, it was also adapted into one of my favorite movies of all time.

Nick has given up his job as a detective since marrying the wealthy socialite Nora and now spends his time drinking so much scotch it makes my stomach hurt. He gets drawn into investigating a murder, but still has time to exchange witty banter with his wife. Is it too much to ask that my life be exactly like that, minus the inevitable lung cancer and liver disease?

This is a really fun mystery and made me laugh out loud. I have a crush on Nick. And Nora.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Hammett's last published novel. I'll miss him, he was fun.

UP NEXT: Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine.

2 comments:

TSorensen said...

Apparently there is a popular drinking game based on the movie. You have to watch it and drink every time they do it in the movie. I wonder how that works with the book. Solitary drinking is a bit... sad.

Amanda said...

True, but it's thematically appropriate.