Pages

Monday, April 3, 2023

455. 1984

1984
George Orwell
1949
Around 370 pages










NOTE: I noticed my comments haven't been working, but I believe I fixed the issue. Sorry if you have been trying to comment, feel free to go extra hard on me as part of my repentance.

This is one of those books nearly everybody has read. Even the people who pride themselves on abstaining from the mainstream have probably read this so they can reference it on Reddit. Or maybe I am being naive, and people just allude to this without actually suffering with Winston. Either way, it's fair to say this is a must read, and George Orwell is a fucking prophet.

In 1984, three totalitarian super states run the world. Winston works in the Ministry of Truth, revising historical documents and dreaming of rebellion (meaning he is already guilty of committing thought-crime). He meets Julia, who Winston initially regards warily as a spy, but gradually becomes more involved with her. Just like in Brave New World, women are here to help men realize things. I don't fault Orwell, but I'm looking forward to our Atwood days when women have larger roles.

Orwell gave us an entirely new vocabulary with this novel, and once again provides us with an invaluable tool for understanding totalitarianism. God, literature is so damn cool. Unfortunately, this novel will never lose its relevancy. 

I read this novel in middle school and the torture scenes really freaked me out. I'm sad this is our last Orwell novel, but talk about going out with a bang. 

Official Orwell Ranking

1. 1984
2. Animal Farm
3. Burmese Days
4. Keep the Aspidistra Flying
5. Coming up for Air

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

One of Time's 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to 2005.

By 1989, Nineteen Eighty-Four had been translated into 65 languages, which was more than any other novel in English at that time.

UP NEXT: The Man With the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren

1 comment:

Diana said...

I still feel so bad for Winston.