Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2024

874. Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Louis de Bernieres
1994
Around 545 pages











After a string of middling novels, I am happy to run into the arms of arguably the most romantic novel on this List. I can't bring myself to watch the movie version, and I can't say the experience would have been as enjoyable if I had been picturing Nicolas Cage as our titular character.

In the 1940s, Dr. Iannis practices medicine on the island of Cephalonia, aided by his daughter, Pelagia. When the Italians invade, the officer in command of the Italian garrison is Captain Antonio Corelli, whose most precious possession is his mandolin.  Corelli and Pelagia become involved in a passionate affair, even though she is engaged to a young fisherman, Mandras, who has gone off to join Greek partisans.

This is a lyrical and beautifully written novel. I can see why some people might find it overly sentimental, and de Bernieres paints a very romanticized, outsider portrait of Greece, but I think it worked. All great romances are over the top. Our central metaphor of the mandolin was implemented so well; it's a masterclass in how to use an object in your story to convey theme. 

Great historical backdrop as well. I feel like we hardly ever spend time in this region during this time, which is odd considering how many lives were lost there. A perfect read for when you are in the romantic and non-cynical mood.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into the film 2001.

UP NEXT: How Late It Was, How Late by James Kelman

No comments: