Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2024

972. Shroud

Shroud
John Banville
2002
Around 260 pages



















Once again, we are entering a series on the second book, we're like the annoying people who come into a movie twenty minutes late. Hopefully John Banville will forgive me for this, and for not liking this book very much. 

Axel Vander, a famous man of letters and recent widower, meets Cass Cleave, a literary researcher who discovers secrets about Vander's past in Antwerp. I guess it's John Banville's version of a love story so it's a little fucked up.

None of Banville's protagonists are particularly likable, but Axel in particular was a nasty piece of work. I guess this was inspired by some real life scandals that took place in the academic circles in the 1980s. I was missing some context there, as much as I wish I was an Oxford professor during that decade. 

Overall, it felt like Banville wanted to do something darker here than his usual fare, and I appreciate that, but it wasn't my favorite plot or resolution. 

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Banville has said this is one of his favorite novels.

UP NEXT: In the Forest by Edna O'Brien

No comments: