Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

107. The House of the Seven Gables

The House of the Seven Gables
Nathaniel Hawthorne
1851
Around 320 pages












Sorry it took me so long to get this post up.  My internet has decided to go a little wonky on me.  If someone is doing an experiment on me, you win: I need the internet.  Now, give it back please.  Please?

Apparently, reading three of Nathaniel Haw-bore's novels is absolutely necessary for the understanding of this guy.  This time, we have The House of the Seven Gables, which upon first glance, seems like it would be really interesting (oh how I have been fooled; see Moby-Dick).  Basically, a New England family lives in a mansion that has been haunted since the Salem witch trials.  We also have the token "good girl" who is so pure and beautiful that everybody loves her the instant they see her.  You can never have too many of those, right?

I usually don't do quotes but this one has to be brought to the attention of potential victims readers of Hawthorne.  Ahem "He now observed that a certain remarkable drowsiness (wholly unlike that with which the reader possibly feels himself affected) had been flung over the senses of his auditress."  So from this quote we can gather that both Hawthorne and his character are incredibly boring and extremely self aware of their dullness.  All right, here is a suggestion.  STOP BEING SO BORING!

There were times where I thought the novel would redeem itself.  Holgrave and Phoebe's romance was intriguing, considering Phoebe's initial disdain for him.  But ultimately, Hawthorne could have been talking about a Buffy The Vampire Slayer reunion and I would still be yawning.  One more to go.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The House of the Seven Gables is a real place in Massachusetts and is open for tours.

Hawthorne's ancestors were actually involved in the Salem witch trials.

UP NEXT: The Blithedale Romance by none other than Nathaniel Hawthorne.  I might actually be taking a break to read Life of Pi, another list book.











2 comments:

Diana said...

I hate Nathaniel Hawthorne. I love your review.

Amanda said...

Haha everyone does! Thanks!