Pages

Friday, May 27, 2022

331. Harriet Hume

Harriet Hume
Rebecca West
1929
Around 290 pages












I think if your novel doesn't have a Wikipedia page, it officially counts as underrated. I feel that way about Rebecca West in general, although I know she was appreciated in her time. It's like modernism done right.

Harriet Hume is a beautiful piano player. If you've read The Piano Teacher, you know those ladies are freaks in the sheets. She has an affair with Arnold Condorex, who leaves her to pursue a career in politics. Harriet has some unusual powers that allow Arnold to see what a disaster his life is without her. Hopefully my exes can manage that without me. 

This was a magical story. I hesitate to label it magic realism, because it's so gosh darn English. Often female characters exist in stories for the sole purpose of motivating our hero, whether he wants to bang her or avenge her death.  West leans into this concept with interesting results.

Worth reading for how unusual it is. I'm glad there are more West novels coming!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

West had an affair with H.G. Wells. So many of our writers are boning.

UP NEXT: The Last September by Elizabeth Bowen

No comments: