Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2022

332. The Last September

The Last September
Elizabeth Bowen
1929
Around 310 pages


 










It pains me a bit that I read a book called The Last September, when it is not, in fact, September. What can I say? I love me my themes. But the List is above such petty things as timing, so I must soldier on and read this inappropriately scheduled novel.

The story takes place during the Irish War of Independence. It's not a subject I know that much about, my public school thought it was more important to go over the French and Indian War fifty times (I forget what that was about too). Not knowing the background does rob the plot of some of its tension, but Elizabeth Bowen did a wonderful job giving us the information we needed and building an atmosphere where everybody is on edge.

Lois Farquar is in her own coming of age novel, unfortunately, the war keeps getting in the way. It's nice to see a novel that gives the female lead something to do other than fussing over the main male character. It really shows that life is relentless. I do think she is still perfecting her voice as a writer, but this was still a powerful introduction to her work.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

John Banville wrote a screenplay of this novel.

The film stars Fiona Shaw (Aunt Petunia), Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall), and Michael Gambon (the worst version of Dumbledore imaginable). 

UP NEXT: Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Doblin

No comments: