Pages

Monday, September 4, 2023

592. The Magus

The Magus
John Fowles
1965
Around 660 pages



















We are about halfway through the sixties, and there has been an absolute onslaught of postmodernism. I think they are starting to wear me down, because I actually sort of liked this. I mean, obviously I wish the story resolved in a way that actually made sense, but I gave up that hope after Pynchon joined the scene.

Nicholas Urfe is a young Oxnerd, and an aspiring poet. He's dating an Australian girl but decides to leave England and take up a teaching post on the Greek island of Phraxos. Unfortunately, relocation isn't a magic cure for depression, so Nicholas still struggles. He befriends Maurice Conchis, who may or may not be a Nazi collaborator. 

Fowles takes his time before taking this story off the rails, which I appreciate. If you're going to be a weirdo, you have to ease the reader in at least. Which he does. I think refusing to provide a proper ending is kind of a cop out. I mean, it's harder to write a satisfying ending than it is to just say "hehe I'll never tell."

I found Nicholas much more relatable than any of our recent characters. And no women were kept prisoners in basements, so that's a plus.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a film starring Michael Caine. Caine called it one of the worst films he has ever been involved in, because nobody knew what it was about. That's postmodernism for you.

Woody Allen was asked if he would do anything differently with his life, he said he'd do "everything exactly the same, with the exception of watching The Magus." Coming from him, that really says something.

UP NEXT: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

No comments: