Pages

Friday, September 15, 2023

604. Chocky

Chocky
John Wyndham 
1968
Around 155 pages


















John Wyndham comes up with the most creative stories. And I know it's a little weird to put this story on the same level as something like One Hundred Years of Solitude with my rating, but in the immortal words of Tamra Judge, that's my opinion. Plus I love horror movies, so I'm excited whenever a child has an imaginary friend who is not so imaginary.

David Gore is concerned that is twelve-year-old son Matthew has an imaginary friend named Chocky. Understandably so. At that age Harry Potter had already saved the world from Voldemort thrice. Chocky, however, might not be what he seems.

I don't want to give too much away with this plot, but it has all the elements of a great Wyndham story. An eerie and fascinating "what if," carried out by relatable and likable characters. I'm so bummed this is the last of his novels on the List. And I can't even rank them, I loved them all.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Spielberg secured the film rights in 2008. 

Adapted into a children's television series and radio play.

UP NEXT: No Laughing Matter by Angus Wilson

No comments: