Pages

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

608. A Kestrel for a Knave

A Kestrel for a Knave
Barry Hines
1968
Around 160 pages











I'm not British (unfortunately), but something about this novel seemed really familiar. I have seen the movie for my other blog, but I also think passages from this story have appeared in my classes or state exams from time to time. The symbolism here is about as straightforward as symbolism can get.

The story takes place in South Yorkshire, and follows Billy Casper, who has a bad home and school life. He is bullied by his half-brother Jud, and has an absentee father. The plot takes places over the course of a single day, but we are given flashbacks that show just how dismal his life is. And obviously, he forms a special bond with a kestrel.

The plot isn't actually that concerned with the growth of Billy and Kes's relationship, it's more about his dysfunctional life, and how Kes represents a sort of escape. This was slightly disappointing, I would rather get a more nature driven story. And I thought the ending was predictable and a little easy. 

One of those rare occasions where the movie is an improvement on the book.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Often taught in GCSE English Literature courses.

Translated into Chinese, Japanese, and Russian.

UP NEXT: In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan

1 comment:

Diana said...

Perhaps the ending was predictable but still very sad. Almost haunting. I have thought about this book many time since reading it. I felt so bad for the people and their lives.