Pages

Thursday, February 15, 2024

755. White Noise

White Noise
Don DeLillo
1985
Around 330 pages












Oh Don. We continue to not click very well, I don't know if it is you or me. I am not a big fan of the sprawling, absurdist works. And this is so kooky that I can't believe it was adapted to film.

White Noise tells the story of Jack Gladney, a small-town college professor whose suburban routine is shattered when a train crash results in a massive chemical spill. DeLillo has a pretty bleak view on the rampant consumerism in modern America. 

I get that this is a significant entry in the history of post modernism, but it just bummed me out for a couple of days. I never think his comedy lands, and while I was sympathetic to the characters, nobody was particularly likable. 

Will probably be enjoyed by fans of Cloud Atlas. Otherwise, not my bag.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Adapted to film in 2022.

DeLillo originally wanted to call the book Panasonic, but the Panasonic Corporation objected.

UP NEXT: Old Masters by Thomas Bernhard

No comments: