Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2024

765. The Cider House Rules

The Cider House Rules
John Irving
1985
Around 560 pages










I absolutely love John Irving, so prepare for another gusher. He is a master craftsman, and it's almost scientific how he is able to design the perfect story.

Homer Wells grows up in an orphanage, and develops a deep relationship with Dr. Wilbur Larch, who trains Homer to be an obstetrician. Dr. Larch performs abortions, which Homer considers morally wrong. As a young man, Homer befriends a young couple, Candy and Wally, who come to St. Cloud's for an abortion. Homer leaves the orphanage, and returns with them to Wally's family's orchard in Heart's Rock, near the Maine coast. 

It's always hard to summarize Irving's novels, because so many weird events take place that I wouldn't want to spoil for new readers. I would read more biographies if they were all penned by Irving. He maps out the strangeness of life so well. All of his characters are so richly fleshed out, with Dr. Larch topping my list of favorite Irving characters. Irving, with his nuanced and layered morality, is the perfect character to take on a subject as complicated as abortion.

This is easily on the skill level of Balzac and Maugham. One of my favorite novels of all time. 

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Wally's experience getting shot down over Burma was based in part on that of Irving's biological father (whom he never met), who was shot down over Burma and survived.

Adapted to film in 1999.

UP NEXT: Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeannette Winterson

1 comment:

Diana said...

This is also a favorite book of mine. I recently reread this and I had forgotten a few of the stories within the stories but I have never forgotten the characters.I love his writing.