Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2024

812. Remains of the Day

Remains of the Day
Kazuo Ishiguro
1989
Around 260 pages







I would like to be reincarnated as a butler in Oxford who has intense sexual tension with the housekeeper of the estate. I think I would thrive in that environment, especially if I could take a motor tour of England after. I would call this Ishiguro's masterpiece if he didn't have so many other options to choose from.

Stevens is an English butler who has dedicated his life to the loyal service of Lord Darlington. We learn that Lord Darlington was a Nazi sympathizer; and Stevens is in love with Miss Kenton, the housekeeper at Darlington Hall, Lord Darlington's estate. The novel starts in 1956 after the recent death of Lord Darlington, with Stevens receiving a letter from Miss Kenton, describing her married life. His new employer, a wealthy American named Mr. Farraday, encourages Stevens to borrow his car to take a well-earned vacation—a "motoring trip". Stevens accepts, and sets out for Clevedon, North Somerset, where Miss Kenton (now Mrs. Benn) lives.

Much like Ishiguro, I love England, so I was happy to travel with Stevens as he roams the countryside. If I weren't so terrified of pulling a Matthew Broderick, I would take the same trip. A butler is the perfect encapsulation of the English spirit, and I enjoyed Stevens' contemplation about what exactly he has given up by choosing this life. 

Just a beautiful novel, and definitely a must read.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Won the Booker prize.

Adapted into a critically acclaimed film in 1993.

UP NEXT: Billy Bathgate by E.L. Doctorow

No comments: