Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

1700s…um…Pulitzers?

At the end of every decade in my movie blog, I have a reward post where I comment on the best and the worst of the decade.  I don't do it with my album blog because there would be around 250 albums for every ten years and that would just be ridiculous.  I have never done it on this blog because sometimes there is only three books in a decade and that would be equally ridiculous, for the opposite reason.  But I think we have a healthy amount at the end of this century, which has been absolutely incredible.  I know a lot of people who have probably never read anything from the 18th century.  While working on this section of the book, I have found the best, worst, funniest, longest, shortest, richest, shittiest books I have ever read.  I want other people to have this experience and I hope my blog may inspire you to go farther back in time with your novels that you might have otherwise.  Now, without further ado these are the prizes I came up with.  Feel free to comment and if you want another category, I will add it.

BEST NOVEL OF THE CENTURY: Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
NOMINEES:
Cecelia by Fanny Burney
The Sorrows of a Young Werther by Johannes Wolfgang von Goethe
Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Choederlios de Laclos
Camilla by Fanny Burney
Amelia by Henry Fielding
Julie by Jean Jacques Rousseau

BEST AUTHOR: Fanny Burney
Nominees:
Henry Fielding
Jean Jacques Rousseau
Voltaire
Denis Diderot

WORST NOVEL: 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade
Nominees:
The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle by Tobias Smollett
Justine by Marquis de Sade
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Adventures of Roderick Random by Tobias Smollett
The Expedition of Humphrey Clinker by Tobias Smollett




2 comments:

Diana said...

I absolutely love that you did these nominees and awards! very creative and very entertaining! Thanks!

TSorensen said...

Totally agree on Best Author and Worst Novel. My best novel would have to be Evelina. I guess that makes Fanny Burney undisputed ruler of the 18th century.