Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

86. The Fall of the House of Usher

The Fall of the House of Usher
Edgar Allan Poe
1839
Around 50 pages












I was planning on taking a nap now because of my illness but I then realized that I had read this story and should probably try to get completely up to date on this blog before I go to sleep.  So if this review seems like the ravings of a mad woman…well, I suppose that would go with the theme, wouldn't it?

Roderick Usher invites his friend to come to his house after both he and his sister have fallen ill.  His friend attempts to make him feel better but um, some crazy shit goes down.  This is such a short story that I feel like I would give away the whole thing by saying anything else so that summary will just have to do.  I should really write for book jackets.

I personally love Poe.  I think he is really good at writing horror stories without seeming cheesy.  I also love that his characters always seem somewhat realistic to me, even if they are completely insane or in implausible situations.  Poe is actually one of the few poets I can read without eliciting a single eye roll from me.  Quite an impressive feat.

That being said, this certainly isn't my favorite story.  The whole haunted house concept has never really frightened me(I actually found the novel The Shining to be absurd).  Still, I would recommend this "novel" because of Poe's exceptional writing style and pacing.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Influenced by Castle of Otranto (as seen in this very blog!).

Criticized for being formulaic.

UP NEXT: The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I think I will read this. I have to admit--i have read no Poe since high school which was a long time ago. I would like to see what I think about him now. You have piqued my interest. :)